Wednesday 28 March 2012

Mother's Day 2012

 









Mother's Day this year was very special as I got to spend it with my lovely Mum and my beautiful daughter. My Mum has not been in the best health recently so my brother and I conspired to take her on a lovely day out, to show her how much we love her and give her a reason to smile. We chose the Churnet Valley Railway in Staffordshire and had a wonderful time. 


Slightly east of Stoke-on-Trent, the Churnet Valley Railway is a restored heritage line running steam and diesel passenger trains through 10 miles of the beautiful Staffordshire countryside. The three stations along the line have all been restored or rebuilt to their original early-century beauty, even the advertising signs around the place are from the 1930's and 40's. It really is a great experience.

Showing her baby the sights
I had been a little worried about how well Bee would enjoy it, the trains can be quite loud and I worried that she would be bored sitting for the journey. I underestimated my girl though, she loved it! She was fascinated by the passing scenery and enjoyed walking up and down the carriages, despite the swaying movement! 




Having a look around with Grandma & Uncle Chris



 We were able to get on and off freely at any of the three stops and have a wander about, visit the cafe or even walk back along the canal that roughly follows the line.







 

 After a yummy bread & butter pudding stop at the cafe we had a mooch about the station and a visit to the souvenir shop. Bee was very taken with her Thomas the Tank Engine flag and train colouring book! We had lots of fun waving the flag just like the train guard. She also mastered 'hoo hoo' for choo choo, thrilled :)







As the day wore on we rode the train some more and stopped along the line in a lovely pub for a warm drink and a rest. It was a typical country pub with dogs welcome and a roaring fire, even some chickens roaming around outside! Bee wasn't very impressed with the chickens, she's afraid of all animals but enjoyed doing some colouring in her new train colouring book.



As the day wore on we all began to get hungry and the trains were coming to and end. We loaded up the car and hit the road, deciding to eat at a carvery in Stoke-on-Trent on the way home. It went down extremely well and Bee very much enjoyed her small tastes of veg, potatoes, gravy and cranberry sauce.

My Mother's Day was everything I wanted it to be, with some of the most important people in my life. I had a wonderful time and would definitely recommend a trip to the Churnet Valley Railway!

No comments: