Sunday 7 April 2013

Bookworms

Anyone who knows me will know I have a deep and abiding love of books and reading. It's something my parents instilled in me as a child and even now there's not much I'd rather be doing than reading a good book with a cup of tea. Rock and roll.
I want Bee to enjoy books as I have, to get the same pleasure from them and have her world opened by a love of reading. She owns a lot of books but for the last few months I've been taking Bee to the big library in Warrington town center. It's something I used to do as a child and always loved spending time there, reading and choosing books to take home. She's been very much enjoying it although I think is still getting her head around the concept.

Me: "So are these the books you want to take home?"
Bee: "Me pay"
Me: "No honey, we don't need to pay, we can borrow them for free"
Bee: "Why?"
Me: "Because the library will let us take the books home to read for free but then we have to bring them back for someone else to borrow"
Bee: "Why?"....

This is a conversation we've had more than once at the library so far. I suppose for a child who's so used to shopping, visiting a library can seem an awful lot like a bookshop and understanding the differences can be a little challenging. She loves the whole experience though.


My only challenge during our visits is keeping Bee calm in the pram while I browse for myself. She has a habit of shouting "out Mama! Me out!" over and over until I release her. Of course then there's lots of running around and squealing loudly in excitement, to which I follow trying to shush her and explain about our "quiet voices" (yeah right!) 

This week we came home with (amongst others) a Peppa Pig christmas book and an In the Night Garden christmas book. It doesn't matter to Bee, if she sees Peppa or Makka Pakka she's sold! We brought another handful home too as well as all of the ones Mama chose!


No comments: