Wednesday 29 June 2011

And the Winner Is.....

This morning brought Bee's appointment with her physio. I've been looking forward to and dreading this appointment in equal measures, knowing it would most likely end in a battle of wills over the walker that I think Bee desperately needs.

I made a point of allowing Bee to walk into the therapy room with her little toddle truck, I wanted the physio to see how small it was for her and how much she has to stoop to use it. I was waging the psychological battle before I made ready to throw down my gauntlet.

Hitching a ride with Daddy
The appointment started as they normally do, observations of Bee playing and moving around the space while we discuss how she's doing. The physio was very pleased with her progression, noting Bee's increase in confidence and it was at this point I decided to lay the groundwork for my challenge. I started to wax lyrical about the freedom Bee has walking with the truck and how much quicker she has progressed since mastering it.

"Well" the physio said, "I was thinking it was maybe a little small for her. How would you feel about a medical walker?"

Completely nonplussed I just looked at her, my whole barrage of arguments flicking through my head while I searched for an appropriate response. Finally I managed "I'm so glad you said that!"

We went on to try a walker in the appointment and Bee, although hesitant at first, should adapt to it nicely. They have swivel-wheels, which will make a huge difference to her. No more walking in straight lines until she hits something because she's not strong enough to lift and turn her truck. No more stooping and walking stiff-legged. My girl will finally, finally have the freedom that other toddlers have: the freedom to roam and explore.

1 comment:

Mikaela said...

This gave me goosebumps! Such wonderful news! Congrats Bee! xx